Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dirty by Megan Hart























Published January 2007



This is what happened... I met him at the candy store.

He turned and smiled at me and I was surprised enough to smile back. This was not a children's candy store, mind you--this was the kind of place you went to buy expensive imported chocolate truffles for your boss's wife because you felt guilty for having sex with him when you were both at a conference in Milwaukee.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

I've been hit on plenty of times, mostly by men with little finesse who thought what was between their legs made up for what they lacked between their ears.

Sometimes I went home with them anyway, just because it felt good to want and be wanted, even if it was mostly fake.

The problem with wanting is that it's like pouring water into a vase full of stones. It fills you up before you know it, leaving no room for anything else. I don't apologize for who I am or what I've done in--or out--of bed.

I have my job, my house and my life, and for a long time I haven't wanted anything else.

Until Dan. Until now.(Goodreads)



 
Review: 3.5 Stars

Wow.  Dirty is an appropriate title for this book.  So is Broken, Shattered, Promiscuous, Absent...  Yes it is erotic but it deals with heavy emotional and abuse issues as well.   Reading this book was like riding a roller coaster for me.   I wasn't interested in the beginning, more interested in the middle and not so much towards the end. 

Elle, the female lead is 20 something, beautiful, smart and sexy.  She is broken emotionally.  Elle does everything she can to keep her distance from relationships and friendships.  As a result of her sexual abuse, she uses sex to mask her emotions.  

Then she meets Dan.  He accepts her as she is and puts up with her emotional distance.
Their relationship comes to a fork in the road and Elle needs to choose a path.  

It was interesting to read about Elle's journey to becoming an emotionally whole person but I felt the story drag on and on.  I got a little annoyed with her and Dan's relationship and honestly, I just wanted it to end.

That being said, I wouldn't discount this book.  If you are looking for a dark, emotional erotic novel, this might be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment