Monday, October 15, 2012

Being Anti-Social by Leigh Cunningham


Published May 27, 2012

Mace Evans is single at thirty-eight. When her much unloved older sister, Shannon, declares that Mace is anti-social, she embarks on a journey to understand her condition; whether she was born that way or if it is the accumulation of thirty-eight years of unfortunate encounters with other humans and dogs.

For reasons unbeknown to Mace, she has an affair with a work colleague, which brings an unexpected end to her perfect marriage. And as if the self-imposed torture and regret is not enough, Mace endures ongoing judgment from her older sister and mother, which further exacerbates already tenuous relationships.

With support from her four best friends, Merlot and pizza, and with guidance from her life coach and mentor, Oscar Wilde, Mace recovers to a degree, but in her quest to understand her anti-social ways, she finds herself wondering about the quality of the fabric that keeps her network of friends intact.

When Mace's mother is diagnosed with cancer, Mace searches for common ground on which to connect before it is too late. (GoodReads)


Rating: 4.0 Stars

I like Merlot with everything, except cereal and milk.

The story of a tight group of 5 friends, interesting plots with men, a mom and sister that are constantly nagging, self realization,  and endless supplies of Merlot....what woman would not enjoy this read??

Mace Evans is the middle child of 5 children,  and very different from her siblings. Self proclaimed independent, her family has labeled her as anti-social. There's nothing wrong with keeping to oneself...the majority of the time, right???

Despite the anti-social label, Mace is surrounded by an eclectic group of 4 ladies that keep the entertainment going throughout the book. If it weren't for the seemingly endless supply of Merlot, I am not sure how Mace would have survived her family visits, dealing with a love lost, family tragedy,  and the numerous sagas with the girls. 

Is it not extraordinary that a caterpillar can become a butterfly? If they can change so dramatically then so can I-I can be likable; I can be sociable. 

Being Anti-Social, is award-winning author Leigh K. Cunningham’s second novel for adult readers. I enjoyed the dry humor, sentimental moments, and reality of friendship and family circles that reigned throughout the novel. 

I really enjoyed Ms. Cunningham's writing style. Her humor and wit resound throughout the entire novel. Her use of witty Oscar Wilde quotes kept me laughing amidst the sequence of events that Mace finds herself in. 

This was one novel that I didn't want to tear through. I found myself taking my time to read; a chapter or two at a time...usually with a glass (or 3) of Merlot. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind review! I really appreciate it, and I'm so glad you enjoyed Being Anti-Social.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly did. A new book in the works anytime soon????

    ReplyDelete